Cannot think of anything more delicious to eat on these colder winter nights than these vegan (and slightly healthier) take on a sticky toffee pudding.
Pear Poaching liquid:
- 4 pears (conference are best)
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 orange zest
- 125g pitted dates
- 150ml almond milk
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 85g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- Preheat oven to 180 c/ gas 4
- Peep the pears, cut the base so they stand flat and use a small knife to cut out the pips at the base. Roughly chop and keep aside the pear scraps
- Tip all the pear poaching liquid ingredients together with 400ml of water in a pan. Summer until it boiling and the sugar had dissolved
- Add the pears and cover with a lid and poach for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, make the sponge. Add the dates and almond milk into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 minutes until the dates have softened
- Once softened, blitz the milk and dates together and scrape into another mixing bowl to cool.
- Once cooled, combine the date mixture with the other sponge ingredients and the pear scraps and mix well.
- Grease a loose bottomed tin (I used a loose bottomed loaf tin) and lime with baking paper.
- Pour the cake mix into the tin and then place the pears into the cake mixture so that their bottom halves are covered.
- Bake for 40 minutes
- During this time, reduce the poaching liquid so it becomes a glossy syrup consistency
- Serve a pear pudding with the syrup!