When Wimbledon is full swing, we are definitely celebrating the British Summer and the sunshine that it is hoping to bring!
The best way to continue to celebrate this, is definitely to try this Strawberry Shortcake recipe! It is filled with delectably sweet Kentish Strawberries and freshly baked shortbread with a sweet yet slightly tart vanilla creme fraiche. These are definitely a perfect combination which suits the whole family! It is clear to see why these recipes will be around for years to come.
The recipe is extremely simple, but why over complicate when the strawbs are in season and seem to be tasting even better than last year. I always try to use British strawbs which are local to me, or if i could pick me own as i love knowing where my food comes from…I think it makes it a little more special knowing that you are supporting the more local community which their produce.
So why are still reading this, get baking!…The perfect dessert to use up the lovely British strawbs!
- 150g Rice flour
- 300g Plain flour
- 300g Unsalted butter
- 150g vanilla caster sugar (and extra for topping)
- Strawberries, sliced into thin pieces
- Creme fraiche
- Vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4
- Make the shortbread, by creaming together the butter and sugar (with a pinch of salt) and then rub in the flours until a dough comes together.
- Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight!
- Once chilled, roll the dough till a 1cm thick and cut out individual biscuits using a circle cutter.
- Sprinkle with sugar and prick the biscuit a couple of times. Then bake for 20 mins.
- Meanwhile slice the strawberries and combine the creme fraiche with the vanilla!
- Assemble with a biscuit base, dollop of vanilla creme fraiche, strawberries, another shortbread and a dusting of icing sugar!
Fizz up the recipe by adding other fresh fruit or meringues/marshmallows for a more luxurious treat!