Fizz up your banana loaf with a sickly sweet salted caramel icing, or eat without with freshly sliced bananas. Perfect for your afternoon treat or even a Monday morning breakfast!
What is better than a freshly baked banana loaf? Possibly one of the more healthier cakes as the bananas are a a great source of vitamin B6 ,manganese, vitamin C, potassium, dietary fiber, potassium, biotin and they also add a great sweetness and bite to the cake without it being too sweet or sugar rich. In this recipe, the sugar levels could easily be dropped or replaced with a couple of tablespoons of apple sauce .
As many of you are aware (UK) the recent news of a sugar tax on sugar laden fizzy drinks and the negativity towards sugar and our health and that of obesity shows that there is an increasing concern on using refined sugars. We are recommended by the Government to consume no more than 6 teaspoons of sugar a day which is something which many people struggle to achieve.
As of this, Apple sauce is a great alternative to using refined sugar, i would suggest using it 1:1 replacement ratio, but double check with the amount of extra liquid you are adding to the mix. It can be easily found in most supermarkets or online. However, for cakes or puddings that are of a creamier consistency, then maybe think of how much you would be affected by a texture change (sugar dissolves in liquid whereas apple sauce doesn’t)…but if you are prepared for a small change with texture then you will definitely not be disappointment in its taste!
- 190g self raising flour
- 100g unsalted butter
- 190g sugar
- 2 eggs (large)
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 90g salted caramel sauce
- 150g icing sugar
- 20g butter
- Preheat oven to 180C/gas 4 and grease the loaf tin
- Combine dry ingredients
- Cream the butter and sugar then add the eggs (one by one and beat well) vanilla and mashed banana
- Add the dry ingredients and gold in until a smooth mixture forms
- Pour into tin and bake for ~55 minutes
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing by combining the salted caramel, icing sugar and butter (I then placed into piping bag with star nozzle)
- Once the cake is out of the oven and cool, pipe the icing and top with banana chips!