Best served warm with hopefully some sunshine!
A healthier take on the much loved potato salad, or a good switch if you don’t like mayo!
Many articles have described using avocado as a replacement for mayonnaise and a healthier alternative. This was great news for myself as I am not keen on mayo personally so i couldn’t think of a better switch. The avocado still adds the moistness and fat feeling in the mouth but definitely is not as greasy or as rich as mayo. It is also a great option for those looking to lose a bit of weight that we might have picked up over the winter months (ha ha)!
The reason why many people have been starting to use avocado over mayo is because avocado is packed full of great nutrients, i think around 20 body loving nutrients including fibre which is especially important to keep our digestive health in tip top shape, potassium, Vitamin E, B-vitamins, and folic acid…Mayo has very little of these.
Avocados are also lower in calories than mayo, the same amount of avocado to mayo has nearly half the calories and so it is a great option for those of us who are looking to lose a bit of “winter” weight.
Lastly, avocados are packed full of “good fats”, they have less saturated fat than mayo and much more heart healthy fats (monounsaturated fats) which are important in reducing cholesterol levels and keep our heart in great shape.
So start that switch, see how your next potato salad will taste by adding a delicious avocado dressing.
- 250g new potatoes
- 1 avocado
- 2 Spring onions
- Handful of broccoli florets
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the new potatoes in salted boiling water until tender. Whilst this is cooking, steam the broccoli on top of the pan until soft but still having a crunch!
- Meanwhile prepare the avocado dressing by blitzing the avocado with the lemon juice, salt and pepper and glug of olive oil until the consistency is thick but pourable.
- Once tender, drain the potatoes and broccoli and add the avocado dressing, mixing it through.
- Top with chopped spring onion and herbs of your choosing
To fizz up the recipe add the potato salad to BBQs for a healthier take!