Hopefully the rain will stay away to enjoy this delicious cake…
White chocolate and pistachios are a great combination, and also the contrast in colours are really attractive and make the cake look more yummy and ready to eat!
Pistachios are a great type of heart healthy/friendly nut to eat (specifically compared to other types) as they have numerous health benefits especially the main one being the good impact on our heart. They have been known to decrease levels of LDL (the bad cholesterol in the body), they also contain antioxidants and unsaturated fatty acids which are important for promoting a healthy heart.
Pistachios also are particular moreish, but still contain numerous health benefits. These include a lower calorie count compared to other nuts such as Brazil nuts; they also contain a higher amount of protein which is extremely important in our diets as it aids the repair and build of tissues and to keep hair and nails in good health. Protein also is great in keeping us fuller for longer and so they are a great thing to snack on because of this.I’m sure you will be aware of the more and more products that are looking at and adding a high protein product into the range…So why not try them in a cake following the recipe below…?
- 6oz self raising flour
- 6oz caster sugar
- 3oz unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 50ml milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 50g chopped pistachios
- 50g chopped white choc
- 200g White choc
- 200g icing sugar
- 200g butter
- Preheat oven to 180c/Gas 3
- Cream the butter and sugar, then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well. Then combine dry ingredients and milk and vanilla extract.
- Once mixed, fold in the pistachios and White choc.
- Pour into 2 greased and lined 8inch tins and bake for 30 mins!
- Meanwhile, prepare the icing by melting the choc and combing with the butter and icing sugar.
- Once the cakes are out and cool, assemble your cake!
To fizz up the recipe, try adding raspberries to the icing or cake to make the cake less sweet!