What better way then a cake with a heart to share with your loved ones this valentine’s weekend!
Delicious and eye catching, treat yourself! 🙂
- 6oz self raising flour
- 6oz caster sugar
- 3oz butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 tsp pink gel food colouring
Ingredients for the vanilla sponge:
- 80z self raising flour
- 8oz sugar
- 4oz butter
- 4 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla extract
Icing and decorations of your choosing!
- Preheat oven to 160c/ gas 3
- Start by making the pink sponge, do this by creaming together the eggs and butter until light and fluffy, then add the eggs and finally fold in the flour with the pink colouring
- Pour into a lined tray (tray bake cake) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Once the pink sponge has cooled then using a heart shaped cutter, cut around 12+ hearts out of the sponge. (You can keep the left over cake to make cake pops for example!)
- Now move into making the vanilla sponge, again cream the sugar and butter, add the eggs, vanilla then fold in the flour.
- Pour about 3/4 of the vanilla sponge into a lined loaf tin, then press the heart shaped pieces of pink sponge into the mixture in the tub. Making sure that the hearts are tightly packed together. Repeat by adding the hearts into the mixture, until they hold in place
- Using the remaining 1/4 of the vanilla mix, pour over the heart tops until they are completely hidden
- Bake in the oven for around 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean
- Finally decorate once cool