A sugar thermometer is a must!
But definitely worth the investment for this rich and luxurious treat!
For 900g of fudge:
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cups of caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 1 cup full fat milk
- 4 ounces of plain chocolate
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease and line an 8 by 8 inch baking pan. And make up an ice bath (big enough to rest the pan in)
- Ina heavy based pan, whisk the sugar, cocoa powder and salt together. Add the golden syrup and milk, stirring until smooth over a medium heat. Cook over a medium heat under the sugar dissolves.
- Continue to cook and increase the heat to high, and cook until it reaches 236 degrees (soft-ball stage).
- Once soft ball stage on the thermometer is reached, take off the heat and add the chocolate and vanilla. Whisking quickly to incorporate.
- Place on the ice bath and allow to cool to 110 degrees. Then pour into the baking pan and leave to set.
Note: be patient with this recipe, it you over cook the mixture, you will go past the soft ball stage and the fudge will not set properly.