A take on Davina McCall’s barley risotto.
Very filling, great for dinners.
Ingredients for 4:
- olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400g mixed mushrooms, wiped clean and finely sliced
- 200g carrots peeled and diced
- 250g pearl barley
- ½ tsp dried sage
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 25g Parmesan cheese, grated. (Extra to serve with)
- Heat the olive oil and 25g of the butter in a large pan.
- Fry the onion and garlic for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and carrots. Continue to cook until the mushrooms are so ftening.
- Add the pearl barley, sage and season well. Mix it about so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Pour in the stock, and bring to a simmer. Simmer until most the liquid has been absorbed and the pearl barley is cooked. This will take around 45-60 minutes.
- Beat in the remaining 25g of butter and the Parmesan so the risotto becomes creamy.
- Serve with grated Parmesan to finish.
To fizz up the recipe, other vegetables could be used in place of the carrots, like sweet potato for example.