Fabulous Dinner for Two!
Creamy, homely and filling.
To fizz up the recipe, grated cheese could be used on the potato topping. Or leeks could be added into the mash.
For a more indulgent meal, add a few tablespoons of cream to the white sauce.
Ingredients for 2:
- 300-400g of fish mix (eg. haddock, salmon, cod and a few prawns)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- handful of spinach
- boiled egg, optional
- white sauce (50g butter, 50g flour, 500ml milk)
- mashed potato (to top), approx. 3 potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ Gas Mark 6
- Prepare the white sauce. Melt the butter, stir in the flour and add milk gradually. Whisk continuously to remove all lumps. Heat until thickened.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes, once soft, drain then mash. If using the boiled egg, the egg can be cooked in the potatoes water for about 10 minutes.
- Lightly poach the fish for 3 minutes in water, drain and add to the baking dish
- Soften onions in a pan and add the spinach so it wilts. Then add to the baking dish.
- Pour over the white sauce and top with the mashed potato.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Serve with peas or vegetable of your choosing.