Recipe from Jamie Oliver’s ‘Comfort Food’ book
Filling and extremely scrumptious!
To fizz up the recipe, the butternut squash sauce could easily be made into a soup.
Ingredients to serve 4:
- 2 medium potatoes (425g)
- 1 egg yolk
- 100g flour
- 1 butternut squash, cut into chunks
- olive oil
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs of Rosemary
- sprinkle of chili flakes
- Parmesan cheese
- black pepper
- To make the gnocchi, peel the potatoes and cook them in a pan of boiling water until tender but still firm.
- Mash the potatoes together with a potato masher and allow to cool slightly. Add the egg yolk and the flour and form into a dough (should definitely still be potato-y!)
- Roll the dough out into 4 long sausages and cut every 2 cm to form the gnocchi. Press down lightly on them with a fork to form some grooves. Place aside.
- To make the butternut squash sauce, de-seed and chop the butternut squash into chunks.
- In a large pan, add the butternut squash, lug of oil, garlic cloves, rosemary and chili flakes and cook for a few minutes.
- Then add the stock, and cook on a simmer for around 25 minutes or until the butternut squash starts to break up.
- Nearing the end of the 25 minutes, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi. The Gnocchi will only take 2-3 minutes to cook and will float to the surface once ready. (Cook the Gnocchi in batches to prevent them all sticking together)
- Serve sprinkle with pepper and Parmesan cheese