Perfect for a Summer evening, sitting around the campfire.
Rustic, homely food.
Great for large groups as method can be easily adapted.
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- 140g streaky bacon
- strip of pork belly, cut into cubes
- 300g garlic sausages (Toulouse sausages or similar)
- 600g baked beans/ kidney beans (or similar)
- celery stick
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes
- olive oil
- 1 litre water
- salt and pepper, to season
- lemon juice
- Cook the onion, celery, garlic and carrot. Set aside
- Brown sausages, bacon and pork belly.
- Add in the tomatoes, beans, herbs, lemon juice and water. Season well.
- Slow cook the casserole for approximately 2 hours. This can be done in a preheated oven at 120ºC or over a campfire.
- Serve with a garnish of parsley and crusty bread.
Note, if using a campfire, take care to ensure heat is even.
It is preferable to cook in the oven, and finish it off or reheat it by using the campfire.