Healthy take on the chocolate cake
Moist, keeps well and you wouldn’t realise the courgettes are there!
Ingredients to serve 12:
- 100g shelled pistachios
- 3 medium eggs
- 180g Demerara sugar
- 300g finely grated courgette
- 120g rice flour
- 60g cocoa powder
For the icing:
- 60g icing sugar
- 20g cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp water
- Handful of roughly chopped pistachios
- Preheat oven to 180ºC/ Gas mark 4. Grease and line a 20cm cake pan
- In a food processer, grind the pistachios into a fine powder.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the eggs with the sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the grated courgette and pistachio powder.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa into the courgette mix and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 30-40 minutes
- To prepare the icing, sieve the icing sugar and cocoa into a bowl. Add the water bit by bit and mix until you have a thick, smooth consistency.
- When the cake is cooked, double check by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake; if it is cooked then it will come out clean. Then allow it to cool.
- When the cake has cooled completely, ice it, and sprinkle with roughly chopped pistachios.