Perfect for a weekend brunch.
Ingredients for 6:
- butter (50g)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cardamom pods, split open
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 450g basmati rice
- 1 litre chicken/fish stock
- 750g smoked haddock fillet
- 3 eggs
- handful chopped parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges to serve
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and cook until softened but not browned. This will be about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cardamom pods, turmeric, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. Cook for 1 minute.
- Tip in the rice and stir so it’s all coated in the spicy butter. Then pour in the stock, season and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and reduce the heat. Cook gently for 10 minutes.
- At the same time, bring some water to the boil in a shallow pan. Add the smoked haddock and simmer for 4 minutes . Lift it out onto a plate and leave it till cool enough to handle.
- Hard boil the eggs for 8 minutes. Once cooked, drain, cool and then peel and chop.
- Flake the fish, discarding any skin or bones.
- Uncover the rice, removed the bay leaves, cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Add in the fish and chopped eggs. Cover again and gently cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the majority of the parsley and season with salt and black pepper
- Serve with lemon wedges and remaining parsley.